Award-winning poet and author, Kami McInnes will be travelling to the South East of South Australia this October as Writers SA’s latest Writer in Residence.
McInnes will be visiting several towns in the region to connect with readers and writers through readings, events, workshops at libraries and community centres, as well as providing one-on-one consultations:
- Mt. Burr: General Store, 2 Thomas Drive Mt. Burr. Sunday 17th October 1pm. Meet The Author/ Reading (from Subterranean Redneck Blues and work in progress).
- Millicent: Millicent Library Civic Centre, Ridge Tce Millicent Tuesday 19th Oct – Thurs 21st Oct 11am – 4pm. Writer In Residence – available for one-on-one sessions.
- Robe: Robe Library, Mundy Terrace Robe Saturday 23rd October 10am – 2pm. Public workshop/meet the author event.
- Robe: Robe Town Brewery, 10 White Street Robe Sunday 24th October 1pm. Open Mic with special guests.
- *Added 14/10* Port MacDonnell: Community Complex, 5/7 Charles Street Port MacDonnell Wednesday 27th October 11am to 3pm. Consults with aspiring authors to provide guidance and advice.
- Keith: Beyond Words Bookshop, 29A Hender Street Keith Thursday 28th October 7.30pm. Meet the author/ reading (from Subterranean Redneck Blues and work in progress).
During his residency, McInnes will be based in Millicent whilst visiting several towns in the region to hold workshops, present open mic events and the opportunity for one-on-one meetings with aspiring writers as well as readers. He will be offering the chance to chat about performance, poetry, writing and editing, organising events, tips to getting started and discussing the forms that memoirs can take. If you’d like to host an event or talk, please contact us at [email protected]
McInnes is a published poet and author, twice representing the state in the Australian Poetry Slam in Sydney and is now co-director of Spoken Word SA, presenting and coordinating the SA program for the Australian Poetry Slam.
McInnes has had two novellas published, with poetry and short stories appearing in various journals nationally and internationally. In 2010 Kami was the winner of the Single Poet Collection Award at the Poetry Unleashed Festival. He has performed in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Newcastle including the Adelaide Fringe Festival, the National Young Writers Festival and the Melbourne Writers Festival. In 2009 and 2011 he represented South Australia at the Australian Poetry Slam National Slam in Sydney. As a spoken word performer, he has supported national and international musical acts in Adelaide and Sydney. Kami has organised and hosted slams, book launches and readings, as well as chairing and appearing on writing panels both in SA and interstate.
The Writers SA Writers and Readers in Residency Program gives McInnes, who grew up in Mt. Burr, the opening to return to the district to work on a project dear to his heart, a memoir of growing up in the 70s in the South East.
The residency is part of Writers SA’s Writers and Readers in Residence Project, which sees writers undertake an artistic residency in regional communities to activate reading and writing in the area.
The project has been extended to 2021, and is assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its arts funding and advisory body.
For more information, please contact:
Program Coordinator at Writers SA, Bronwyn Tilley: [email protected]