- Closing date for receipt of entries is 30 June 2019.
- The name of the author must not appear on the same page as the story.
- It’s not a requirement, but we strongly advise you to purchase a copy of The Moth.
- Entries must be in English, typed, with each entry on a new sheet.
- No name or address should appear on the same page as the story.
- Entries will not be returned, so make sure you keep a copy.
- No corrections can be made after receipt, or fees refunded.
- The Prize is open to anyone (over 16).
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published,
- published online or broadcast.
- You can enter as as many stories as you like.
- There is a word limit of 5,000.
- Payment can be made by cheque (euro/sterling/dollar), by credit/debit card via PayPal (to [email protected]) or by postal order (Ireland only)
Entry fee is €15 per story
Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to ‘The Moth Magazine Ltd.’, with the sender’s name and address on the back.
- Postal entries can also be paid in cash (either in US dollars, Sterling or Euros at the current exchange rate).
Receipt of entry
- Enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ‘ACKNOWLEDGEMENT’ if you require acknowledgement
- of receipt of your postal entry (include international reply coupon if entering from overseas).
- Online entries are confirmed by the email receipt of your payment to PayPal.
- Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but The Moth will have the unrestricted right to
- publish the winning stories in the autumn 2019 issue and any relevant promotional material.
The judge is Kit de Waal. Her decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.
A 1st prize of €3,000, a 2nd prize of a week-long writing retreat at Circle of Misse in France (including €250 for travel) and a 3rd prize of €1,000.
Prizewinner will be notified in writing by mid August 2019. The winning stories will be published in the autumn 2019 issue of The Moth.
Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the entry requirements will result in disqualification.
For more information and to apply online, head to the competition page.