Enter your short story or poem to the ‘AAWP/UWRF Emerging Writers’ Prize’ for your chance to win.
If you win you will receive — a ticket to the Ubud Writers and Readers Festival (UWRF), accommodation for the duration of the festival and $500 towards economy airfares. In addition, you will receive a one-year annual membership to the Australasian Association of Writing Programs (AAWP) and fully subsidised conference fees to attend the annual conference of the AAWP, where you are invited to read from your work. The editors at Meniscus will consider your work for publication.
Take advantage of this stunning opportunity to celebrate the craft of writing at South East Asia’s largest and most exciting literary festival. Be welcomed in to the thriving community of writers within the AAWP. Enter your short story or poem and take advantage of this generous publication pathway and networking opportunity for emerging writers.
Conditions of Entry
- This competition is open to emerging writers across Australasia. Emerging writers will not have a full-length, single-authored, commercially published, print publication in any genre. Emerging writers who have published in electronic format only, or who have published work in collections showcasing multiple authors, are eligible.
- The Prize opens on the 15 February 2017 and closes at midnight on 30th June 2017. Late submissions will not be accepted. The winner will be announced on the UWRF website and the AAWP website no later than 30th August 2017.
- Entries should not exceed 30 lines (poetry) or 3000 words (prose).
- Entries should respond to the UWRF theme. The 2017 theme is ‘Origins’.
The theme – drawn from the Hindu philosophy ‘Sangkan Paraning Dumadi’ – speaks of our eternal connection to where we have come from, and to where we will ultimately return. UWRF Founder & Director Janet DeNeefe elaborates:
“At a time of global unrest and political turmoil, ‘Origins’ invites us to consider the biggest picture – to contemplate not just our connections from person to person, but as a collective humanity extending across people, the planet and periods of time.”
- The entry should be formatted as follows — line spacing: 1.5, font size: 12 point, font: Times New Roman.
- You may enter as many times as you wish. Subsequent entries incur a separate fee.
- Any entries that do not follow the rules will be disqualified. If an entry is disqualified no refund will be given.
- Entries may not be altered after they have been submitted.
- The UWRF/AAWP reserves the right to disqualify any entry that breaches the rules.
- The judges’ verdict is final. No correspondence or discussion.
- The award is for unpublished writing, including online publication.
How to Enter
Please go to the aawp.org.au for further information: available under News (Opportunities) or Journals (Meniscus)
The entry fee is $20.