What is digital storytelling and what can you do with it? In this introductory workshop, you'll be introduced to the unique opportunities of digital-born literature through examples and practical exercises, so you can begin making interesting creative work online.
You don’t have to be a tech genius or have access to any fancy or expensive gear or software to get started experimenting with digital storytelling.
Suitable for... beginners; creatives with minimal/no prior experience or knowledge of digital storytelling who want to see what's possible. Creatives with a multimedia practice also (e.g. artists, illustrators, sound designers).
- Be introduced to digital storytelling (what it is and opportunities for writers) and techniques for creating digital stories
- Apply digital elements to an existing piece of writing (bring along any story, poem, essay or other piece of writing you already have)
- Connect with other like-minded writers interested in experimenting with digital storytelling and online writing opportunities
- Develop a plan to continue exploring an area of digital writing that interests you.
Due to the nature and activities of the workshop, you will need access to a computer (laptop or desktop computer) as you will not be able to fully participate using a phone or tablet.
This workshop is presented by the Writers SA No Limits: Young Regional Writers program and is aimed at regional writers aged 30 and under, however writers from all ages and locations are very welcome to attend this online workshop.
For writers interested in more digital experimentation, Rory will also be facilitating a workshop on developing interactive narratives in February. Find out more here.
About Rory Green
Rory Green is a writer, editor and digital media artist living on unceded Gadigal land. Their digital interactive work has been published in Cordite Poetry Review, The Lifted Brow and Running Dog among others, and has been programmed as part of BLEED Festival, Freeplay Festival and Cementa Arts Festival. They have taught digital literature as part of Express Media's Toolkits: Digital Storytelling program, as well as through workshops for Digital Writers Festival, National Young Writers Festival, and Queensland Poetry.
WSA Member $44 / Non-member $77
No Limits (regional writers aged 30 and under) $10
No Limits workshops are heavily subsidised for regional writers aged 30 and under. If the fee is still a barrier please email [email protected] for the No Limits 50% off or 100% off code to enable you to participate.
Online from wherever you are via Zoom. Instructions will be emailed to you, please check your spam/junk folders.
—Writers SA members must be logged in to receive the member discount. If you would like to use a workshop credit to book in please contact [email protected] at least five working days before the workshop commencement date. Our staff don’t work full time and we don’t want you to miss out!
—Members of other writing centres in the National Writers Centre Network can access our member discount. Contact [email protected] with your membership number to make your booking.
—Our Youth Membership category also includes a subscription to Voiceworks. Voiceworks is a national literary journal that features exciting new writing and art by young Australians. Join here.
Are you a member?
Not yet a Writers SA member? Join here for as little as $60!
Writers SA members receive
- 30% discount on all workshops and services
- a free 20-minute consultation with our Director upon sign up
- advice, information and support in your writing activities
- career pathway support and opportunities
- access to a community of writers
- opportunities to meet industry professionals
- opportunities for publication and promotion