Writers SA and Adelaide’s queer arts and culture community festival, Feast, present the 2021 Feast Short Story Competition, to celebrate the creative work of queer writers in South Australia. Entries are free, and open to short story submissions of 1,000 to 3,000 words on any theme and in any genre or style of prose.
There are two prize categories, for emerging writers (up to one published book or collection) and established (two or more books/collections published) writers respectively. Submissions close 11:59pm 31 October.
The winning entrants will be invited to share their stories at the Feast Short Story Competition Celebration event at the Migration Museum on Thursday 25 November (free event, bookings essential). They will receive a $250 cash prize, a $200 book voucher to their local bookstore, and receive a Writers SA pack including membership, complimentary workshops, and a writing-career consultation. Highly commended entrants across both categories will also receive a $100 book voucher and Writers SA pack.
Terms and conditions:
- This is a competition for original pieces of short fiction written in English, between 1,000 and 3,000 words in length. One short story can be entered per person.
- Entrants must be South Australian residents.
- All submitted stories must be unpublished (including online) and not under consideration by other publishers.
- The competition is open theme.
- Stories that have won or are under consideration in other competitions are not eligible.
- Submissions will be processed electronically. Stories should be formatted at 1.5 line spacing and a minimum of 12 point font size (unless formally experimental).
- The winning entries will not be published or reproduced.
- Late entries will not be accepted.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Writers SA or Feast Festival staff and board members, and their families, are prohibited from entering. All previous, current and ongoing Writers SA members are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be announced in mid-November. Subscribe to the Writers SA e-news for announcements.
- The complimentary workshop can be chosen from eligible Writers SA workshops.
I neglected to put page numbers on my short story entry. It’s only three pages and the title of the story is in the header for each page.
Is this ok or can I resubmit the file?
Thanks for your application Robert! All fine, no need to re-apply. Good luck!