Matilda Bookshop, in partnership with Writers SA, and association with Ultimo Press, are offering an annual residency fellowship to a South Australian writer. The fellowship provides support (time, writing space and mentoring) to work on a writing project of literary merit. As there are currently no SA residency fellowships offered to SA writers, the fellowship aims to remedy a gap in the literary community. Applications will be assessed by Writers SA staff, with the shortlist judged by Writers SA and Matilda Bookshop. Ultimo Press will provide consultation and manuscript assessment to the recipient.
The residency is for one week (seven nights) and includes the following:
- a travel/living subsidy of $500.
- one week’s accommodation at Grass Tree Gully in Deep Creek (Oct 10-17) for uninterrupted writing time. Breakfast and lunch will be provided daily, but please note that the food provided is for the resident fellow only.
- a one-and-a-half-hour mentorship session with author and experienced mentor, Hannah Kent, during the week of the residency (either in-person or online), with a follow-up session at either one-month or three-months after the residency, as decided by the writer and the needs of their project. Hannah will have read the submission material, including outline/synopsis, ahead of the mentoring session
- an initial one-hour phone consultation with Ultimo Press, after reading submission material, followed by a full manuscript assessment and further one-hour consultation on delivery of finished work.
How to apply:
Applications will open Wednesday February 2nd 2022, and must be submitted via this link by 11:59pm Friday 1 April 2022. The successful recipients will be notified by June 30 2022. (Application link – https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LMLH2R5)
The week-long residency will take place 10th-17th October 2022. There is no application fee, and no program fees apply. Regional writers may apply for a higher travel/living subsidy at the time of application and will depend on the location they are travelling from.
Applications will be considered according to:
- the impact of the opportunity on the writer,
- the ambition and potential of the project, and
- the quality of the support material.
- The residency is open to both emerging and established writers
Please follow this link where you can also upload your documents.
- your contact details.
- a brief, relevant bio (max. 150 words).
- a statement addressing how the opportunity will benefit you (max. 250 words).
- a summary/outline/synopsis of your proposed project to be undertaken during the Deep Creek residency (max. 1 page). (Please note, we are only accepting submissions of adult literary fiction, memoir, biography, autobiography, and narrative non-fiction).
- artistic support material (one chapter of manuscript, or twenty pages of writing if still in early development stage. Please outline the connection of the support material to your proposed project).
- please advise what stage of your development the manuscript/project is at. For example, completed first draft, ideas generating phase, editing polished manuscript.
Terms and conditions
By entering this application process, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. You must be a writer with a work in progress (the submission can be in early stages of development, but we want to see that you have a viable and dynamic project in mind).
2. You must be a South Australian resident for at least 12 months.
3. You must be 18 years or older.
4. You must be able to take up the residency between October 10 and 17, 2022, and if circumstances beyond your control prevent you from attending during this time, you must notify Writers SA of this immediately so another applicant can be offered the fellowship.
5. The successful applicant will need to make their own way to and from the residency at Grass Tree Gully in Deep Creek, South Australia.
6. The final recipient will be chosen at the discretion of Writers SA and Matilda Bookshop. The decision will be final, and no discussion will be entered into with applicants.
The house is reasonably accessible however the property is mostly rugged terrain. Please contact [email protected] if you need to discuss any accessibility queries or options in relation to the residency.
Undertaking the residency is not a guarantee of publication. Ultimo Press will consider the final manuscript at their discretion.