The SA Writers Centre is partnering with Varuna, the National Writers’ House to offer a new residency and development fellowship for a young South Australian writer.
This opportunity is open to writers, poets and illustrators who are under 35, and are South Australian residents.
The week-long residency will take place from Monday 23 – Monday 30 April 2018. That’s the week leading up to, and including, Varuna’s Sydney Writers Festival events.
The fellowship includes:
- 7 nights accommodation, including a private space to further develop a work in progress,
- all meals plus a $300 travel subsidy,
- an hour-long consultation with one of Varuna’s external writing consultants, to be held during the residency (the consultant will read an extract of up to 10 pages in advance), and
- free tickets to all events held over the Varuna festival weekend, including networking opportunities, and access to the festival green room.
The recipient must be:
- under 35 on 1 December 2017,
- an SA resident for at least the past 12 months,
- able to take up the residency on the above dates, and
- have a current work in progress.
The recipient will be selected by representatives of the SA Writers Centre staff, board and a South Australian Varuna alumnus. Selection will be based on:
- The impact of the opportunity on the writer,
- the ambition and potential of the project, and
- the quality of the support material.
Please submit a single PDF document containing the following materials to [email protected]:
- Your contact details,
- a bio (max 150 words),
- a statement addressing how the opportunity will benefit you (max. 250 words),
- a synopsis of your project (max. 1 page), and
- artistic support material (writing, illustrations, etc; max. 10 pages including links).
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers, and those from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds, are encouraged to apply.
Applications close on Friday 1 December, 5pm.
The successful recipient will notified by Monday 18 December, 5pm.
If you have any questions, feel free to get in contact with us.