A coffee table book can be a cookbook, an almanac, a detailed family tree or a loved one's historical record; join business owner and author Rojina McDonald as she walks you through the process from photography to layout to marketing.
No matter what your end product is, the process for gathering and compiling the information to publish a professional product remains similar across styles. You'll learn the steps needed to engage a professional photographer, how copyright works on the images you buy, and why layout is integral to creating something that is visually stunning but also readable. You’ll learn interview techniques for content, and marketing tips if you plan to sell your book in a commercial, traditional or self-publishing market.
Participants will gain a better understanding of:
- Using a photographer to capture images for your book: how to manage this process and understanding who owns the copyrights to the images
- Understanding layout and how to best design your pages to convey your message
- Interviewing techniques: how to get the most out of your subjects
- Sales and marketing: how to ascertain who might be interested in stocking and buying your book
- Budgets and hidden costs: what you need to be aware of.
About Rojina McDonald
Rojina McDonald is the Founder of Soul Publishing and Creative Director of two highly successful books, Faces & Food of the Fleurieu and Wine, Beer & Spirits of the Fleurieu.
—Writers SA members must be logged in to receive the member discount. If you would like to use a workshop credit to book in, please contact [email protected] at least five working days before the workshop commencement date. Our staff don’t work full time and we don’t want you to miss out!
—Registrations will close 4pm on the Friday prior to a weekend event and 5pm the day of for an evening event to ensure all participants have the relevant links and information during Writers SA business hours.
—Members of other writing centres in the National Writers Centre Network can access our member discount. Contact [email protected] with your membership number to make your booking.
Price: Writers SA Member $35/Non-member $50
- Starts: November 6th, 2021 10:30 AM
- Finishes: November 6th, 2021 12:00 PM