Join author and journalist Nadia Bailey to journey through the complexities of sentence-craft to make your work sing.
Emily Bronte wrote in Wuthering Heights, “He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”
A sentence is a building block that makes up any piece of writing — and understanding how to write a memorable sentence is often what separates a good piece of writing from a great one. Author Nadia Bailey – a writer and a journalist – will share thoughtful expertise on the diminutive form, including examples of successes and failures, tips and warnings, and methods that will help you craft the kind of sentences that make your work sing. Participants will be asked to bring a piece of their own writing and apply the lessons learned during the session (you won't have to share your piece).
- Be guided through the complexities of sentence-craft
- Have the chance to workshop a piece of your own writing with Nadia (participants need to bring a piece of writing they are currently working on between 500 and 1,000 words to the workshop, you will not be required to share this with the group)
- Learn practical methods to improve your writing at the sentence level
This workshop is suitable for writers of fiction and non-fiction, short stories and essays, of all experience levels.
About Nadia Bailey
Nadia Bailey is a writer, editor, and critic. She was the recipient of the National Library of Australia's Creative Arts Fellow for Australian Writing in 2020, and was the UNESCO City of Literature Creative Fellow in Kraków in 2019. She is the author of several non-fiction books on popular culture, and her essays, journalism and criticism have been published widely. She is currently a PhD candidate at UNSW Canberra and is working on her first novel.
Members $88 / Non-members $140
This workshop will be delivered via Zoom. Instructions will be emailed to you, please check your spam/junk folders. A recording will be available to registered participants for two weeks after the event.
—Writers SA members must be logged in to receive the member discount. If you are a member of another state based writers centre, please contact [email protected] at least five working days before the event to get a code for the member price. Our staff don’t work full time and we don’t want you to miss out!
Are you a member?
Not yet a Writers SA member? Join here for as little as $60!
Writers SA members receive
- 30% discount on all workshops and services
- a free 20-minute consultation with our Director upon sign up
- advice, information and support in your writing activities
- career pathway support and opportunities
- access to a community of writers
- opportunities to meet industry professionals
- opportunities for publication and promotion