SA Writers Centre is launching a mentorship program in 2016, designed to assist writers at any stage in their career that feel the need for the support of guidance of a mentor. This may include early career unpublished writers, mid career writers looking to diversify their careers, or more established writers looking at new directions. If you are seeking a mentor please register your interest here.
UPDATE: we have closed off EOI for now but if you are interested in becoming a mentor please sign up to our enews or keep an eye on our website for upcoming callouts.
We are establishing a register of mentors, including writers from a range of backgrounds and genres, from traditionally to self published, with skills from writing craft through to marketing.
Mentors will be paid a fee and SA Writers Centre will be responsible for the administration and liaison of pairing mentor and mentee, to best suit both participants’ needs. We will also provide training and support for mentors where necessary.
What we are looking for in a good mentor:
- previous experience as a mentor (desirable)
- demonstrated success in a field of expertise (writing craft, editing, publishing, marketing etc)
- ability to deliver constructive critique and feedback, motivation, guidance and support
- a good role model with a positive and encouraging outlook
- great interpersonal skills
- current SA Writers Centre member (essential requirement).
To register for our mentor register, please fill out the expression of interest form.
Please note: registering with the SA Writers Centre is not a guarantee of work, as the selection of mentors will lie with mentees, in consultation with Centre staff where appropriate. Mentees and mentor will both be required to sign an agreement outline terms on commencement of the mentorship.